Monday, June 20

Country Music Challenge...


I have decided that I need to broaden my musical horizons and therefore I have given myself a music challenge. It's kind of easy to give yourself a challenge (chances are it won't actually be all that challenging) but for people who know me, they know that country music is not in my musical vocabulary. It seems only fair to the country music genre that I give it a try. So i've given myself a 1 month challenge.

Starting today, I will listen to nothing but country music (with a few rules/exceptions) for 1 month (June 20-July 20)....It' won't be too difficult, right?

There are only a few rules (self-established, of course):
  1. When i'm in my car, I have to have the radio on and at an audible volume!
  2. If I'm at home and I have the radio on, I have to have it on country.
  3. There are 3 radio stations that I can listen to (all country). One plays top 40 country (is that actually a thing?), and the other two play a variety of classic and modern country...(bring on the twang!)
  4. I obviously cannot control the radios of those around me, so if I happen to be in someone elses car (or within hearing distance from any other music device) I can't help it.
  5. On the off chance that all three of these stations are on a commerical break, I can switch to a different (non-country) station for a max of 2 songs. (I have to be strict or i'll never switch back!)
  6. At work, I'll listen to a country Pandora station (or a combination of several).
That about covers the rules. Now, I guess i'll explain why I decided to do this in the first place...
  1. I've always considered myself to be a "music snob" of sorts and I have come to the conclusion that it's no fun. It practically breaks my heart when someone won't give the music I love a listen, and it's hypocritcal for me be the same way towards country music fans and the music they love, right? right.
  2. I might actually grow to like it. Sure, i'm not going into this with the anticipation that i'm going to be a die-hard country music fan by the time I'm done, but perhaps i'll find elements that make me want to add country to my musical arsenal. Stranger things have happened.
  3. I'm on the verge of bored with my current music catalog and I think I need something different. This challenge is definitely different!
  4. If this challenge goes well, perhaps I'll try some other genre in the future...or maybe just a band...except Nickelback. I'll stick with my "music snob" status on that one...for life.
I plan to catalog some of my findings along the way (how scientific sounding, right?). Enjoy.

Peace.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment