Thursday, July 21

It Is Finished...

It's all over! I celebrated with some Jason Mraz this morning [thanks Pandora].

Generally speaking, a month is a long time. But limiting yourself on something (especially something like music) for a month makes it seem SO MUCH LONGER. When I started this challenge, I wasn't even sure if I would be able to stick with it. I mean, it took me completely out of my musical comfort zone. I found that the more people poked fun at the fact that I (of all people) was listening to country music, the easier it became. Maybe it was a challenge within a challenge; to prove to the non-believers that I could do it! Whatever it was, I DID IT!

I will be honest though...I'm glad it's over. It's not that I hated every moment of it, but I've never limited myself to one genre of music before so it was tough. I'm not even sure I could listen to any other genre for a month straight without getting bored with it.  That's why we have so many genres to choose from, right?
  • Miranda Lambert's voice takes a little getting used to, but once you're used to it, it's quite lovely. Also, her and Blake are the ‘Supreme Country Music Couple’ right now. For serious. Love them both.
  • I think I could like Taylor Swift if her lyrics were better and she could carry a tune.
  • I adore Lady Antebellum. ADORE.
  • It's okay to be just a little bit pitchy...right?
  • The delivery of country music is different than most other genres. The runs aren't as fluid [sometimes even choppy] and the phrasing is really unique. It's kind of cool. I hadn't noticed it before this challenge.
  • I still CANNOT STAND Jennifer Nettles voice. I tried. It’s awful. Sorry kids.
  • You can’t go wrong with a song featuring Jimmy Buffet. Truth. [Just ask Zac Brown Band]
  • I tend to enjoy the southern rock vibe more than the twangy, more traditional vibe.
  • Being pretty gets you further than actual talent in some cases, much like all other music genres.
  • There aren’t really a broad range of topics when it comes to content…Most country songs are about “real life” [real country life, that is]…Tractors, rain, women, parties, being a redneck, lost love, making mistakes, memories…etc. Most topics can be related to the everyday person’s life…which is cool.
  • Loretta Lynn wears fancy dresses and I like them.
  • I still twitch a little when I sing lyrics that are grammatically incorrect. It happens more than I’d like it to in country music.
  • Harmony. Harmony. Harmony. Harmony. Harmony! I love the harmonies that country music have to offer. They're availible in other genres, but it's different. In country music you can have a raspy male vocal combined with a soulful female vocal and it's heavenly! [This in itself is one of the reasons this whole challenge was worth it! I'm a sucker for amazing harmony!]
And...Last but not least.....
  • I may actually add a country station to the radio presets in my car! And I won’t be deleting my country Pandora stations. To me, this means my challenge was a success. I managed to incorporate (or will incorporate) a new genre into my daily musical life and i'm excited about it! I'm not sure I could go on a month-long country music binge again but...I know now that not all country music is created equal. It doesn't all make me want to shoot myself. It doesn't all make my ears bleed. It isn't all twang and cowboy boots...It really is quality music. I'm excited to have reached that verdict.
I have also compiled a list of songs that have made their way into my daily circulation of "songs that get stuck in my head"...Or just songs that I looked forward to hearing on the radio/Pandora. [I think I might have to make a Country Music Mix Tape/CD....I don't know who I am anymore!!]
  1. Miranda Lambert - A Heart Like Mine
  2. Zac Brown Band - Colder Weather
  3. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood - Remind Me
  4. Lady Antebellum - Just A Kiss
  5. The Band Perry - If I Die Young
  6. Blake Shelton - Honey Bee
  7. Little Big Town - Boondocks
  8. Rodney Atkins - Backroad
  9. Eli Young Band - Crazy Girl
  10. Eric Church—Homeboy
  11. Sara Evans—A Little Bit Stronger
  12. Jason Aldean feat. Kelly Clarkson - Don't You Wanna Stay (Harmony!!!)
  13. Justin Moore - If Heaven Weren't So Far Away (this song is precious!)
  14. Chris Young - Tomorrow
  15. Jason Aldean - Dirt Road Athem
  16. Taylor Swift—Mean

Now, before you get all uppity about the fact that there is a Taylor Swift song on my list, I should explain. In general terms, I don’t like her music. It’s too “little girl princess-pop-country” for my liking. And her voice isn’t the best. BUT, her songs are catchy and I do appreciate the fact that she can make fun of herself and not really care what others say about it. I think the song “Mean” is a perfect example of this because she’s pretty much giving ‘the bird’ to the people who think she can’t sing (I accept that bird, Taylor).

All in all this was a really fun challenge…a really fun, CHALLENGING, challenge. I look forward to whatever my next challenge may be…musical or otherwise. If anyone has any questions about this challenge [or anything else, I guess] feel free to leave it in the comments. I hope you [all 4 of you] enjoyed reading all about it. Stay tuned for more challenge fun! I’m thinking of taking on my next challenge in September [it’ll give me time to dive back into the full spectrum of musical genres]. Until then…

   Peace.
-M

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for challenging your musical tastes! I wish I could Andrew to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Get Andrew to do this* Seriously, I'm getting dumber and lazier!

    ReplyDelete