Friday, July 1

New Insights, Loretta Lynn, and a Cop-Out...


This first part is irrelevant to most of what follows...but humor me?

Being the word-nerd that I am, as I was typing "cop-out" up there in the title I thought to myself..."do I even know what that means?" So I decided to look it up. (see below if you'd like to know)
cop-out also cop·out (kpout)
n. Slang
1. A failure to fulfill a commitment or responsibility or to face a difficulty squarely.
2. A person who fails to fulfill a commitment or responsibility.
3. An excuse for inaction or evasion.

I'll get to the cop-out in a bit...promise.

Anyway...
This morning wasn't a great day for my challenge. I hated every song I heard on the radio while driving from my house to work. I can't really blame the music though...I get that way with any genre from time to time. But alas, per my instructions, I kept the radio on and audible. (I'm kind of proud of myself...though, I was tempted to keep it tuned into the station that had a commerical...only tempted.)

Mini-confession time: I'm actually starting to enjoy this challenge (depsite this morning's set back). It's fun to emerse yourself in something unfamiliar. We'll see if the fondness continues to grow...I truly hope it does. It's never a bad thing to expand your musical horizons...or at least to be willing to.

Findings: I have a few more country music findings to share...I know you're all so excited (all 2 of you).




  • Loretta Lynn wears fancy dresses and I like them. (more on her in a bit)







  • I still twitch a little when I sing lyrics that are gramatically incorrect. It happens more than I'd like it to in country music. I just can't stand the word "ain't"...even if it's used correctly.







  • Country songs tell a story. They're usually a little bit cheesy, but not always. I like it.






  • Also, I'm really into Miranda Lambert this week. She was a guest on The Voice (and sang with Dia Frampton) and I think she did a great job. Plus, she and Blake are possible the most adorable couple in all the land.

    **SIDE NOTE/SPOILER ALERT**

    I was thrilled that Javier Colon won The Voice. He was my favorite from day 1! His voice is like Butter!!! I was also thrilled that he only beat Dia by 2% of the vote. She also has a unique and amazing tone/voice.

    **END SIDE NOTE/SPOILER ALERT**

    Now, it's Loretta Lynn time! Huzzah!  I decided to listen to only her music yesterday, as a sort of tribute to a true country music icon. I’ve always been intrigued by her, but never sat down and actually listened to her music. I started out with her newest album “Van Lear Rose” (produced by none other than Jack White—who I happen to think is kind of amazing) and followed that up with her older material. You can definitely hear his influence compared to Lynn’s older music (which has influenced other country greats..like Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks). I probably listened to 'Van Lear Rose' 2 or 3 times through..it's really great....

    Ok kids, time for the cop-out. I had these grand plans for my Loretta Lynn post...but I sort of lost steam yesterday due to a moment of girly emotional distress and had to make the executive decision to do something different. So instead of my own post about Loretta, I'll refer all of you lovely readers to her website (http://www.lorettalynn.com/) . They have a wonderful bio on her. It's full of all sorts of fun facts (and interesting ones as well)...for example:
    • She was married at 14! (crazy!)
    • Her husbands nick name was "doolittle"...or "doo"
    • She was heavily influenced by Patsy Cline (whom everyone should adore)
    • By the early 80's, Loretta had 52 top 10 singles and 16 #1 hits!
    • Also, please take note of how fabulous she still looks! I mean, she's pushing 80, folks!
    Here are a few stats that are also on the website:
    • Studio Albums –54
    • Compilation Albums –15
    • Singles –88
    • B-sides –4
    • Music Videos –7
    • Soundtracks –1
    • Tribute and Cover Albums –1
    • No. 1 Singles (USA) –16
    • No. 1 Singles (overall) –23
    I’m amazed at some of these stats. One that stood out is the Music Video category. Artists today thrive off of music videos. It’s a way to improve the fan base for a song. A perfect example of this is Lady Gaga. Her videos are very intricate and have a certain kind of production value that amplifies a song beyond what it could be sans a video. I don’t know that country music has to do that. It’s kind of a cool revelation. (I haven't ventured into the world of country music videos yet though...so I could be wrong.) Maybe i'll explore that next week?

    Well, that's what i've got today...I'm working on a fun post though...about being single at 25 and the challenges that brings. It's going to be interesting.  So, keep your eyes peeled. In the meantime, have a wonderful (and safe) July 4th weekend! Blow something up...and remember those who have served or currently serve in our military...even if you don't fully believe in the reason they're fighting...be grateful that someone is fighting. I know I am. 

       Peace.
    -M 

    1 comment:

    1. looooved it! ;) You should Coal Miner's Daughter- you feel like you know her a whole lot better. I have always admired her too, and Dolly Parton... and Grace Kelly and Diane Lane (not that they have anything in common lol)

      ReplyDelete